Mexican street corn is by far one of my favorite street foods to indulge. It is messy and the corn kernels get stuck in your teeth, but it’s worth every bite. Traditionally elote is made using mayonnaise and butter and its delicious….BUT mayonnaise and butter are also great at heart disease. I’m all about overall health and what you eat plays one of the biggest roles. This healthier version of traditional Mexican street corn is so good and doesn’t sacrifice any flavor.
Serving Size: 4 people
The magic that makes it taste good:
- 4 Corn, fresh in the husk.
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Cilantro, fresh chopped
- Cotija Cheese, crumbled
How to make magic:
- Boil a pot of water big enough for the corn to be covered, while water is heating shuck the corn.
- Add the corn to the water and once boiling, cook for about 10 min.
- While the corn is cooking, you can get ahead and make the spread. In a bowl add the 1 cup of plain yogurt, salt to your taste, pepper to your taste, 1/2 teaspoon of honey, juice from half of a lime.
- When the corn is done you have 2 choices… 1. Add the toppings and indulge or 2. have your grill preheated and grill the corn for about 5-8 min.
- After the corn is done, use a plate and add a spoonful of the yogurt spread to the top of each corn and spread it around until it coats the corn.
- Evenly sprinkle chili powder and cayenne powder to your liking and repeat with the cheese and cilantro.