Mmmm pasta, I love pasta and bread. I also love being able to still eat yummy delicious foods that are actually healthy! YAY! As some of you know, I don’t eat any refined or processed grains. This includes; white rice, white breads, and all-purpose flour… I don’t eat these due to the fact that it has little to no nutritional content and is mostly full of simple sugars. The grain or wheat to make refined products is actually processed to remove the bran & germ (which is where the nutritional content, including fiber is stored). Removing the bran & germ give the product a finer texture and extend the shelf life. Knowing this, I made the switch to whole grains and wheat to ensure I’m getting real food with real nutrition. For this recipe, I used Brown Rice pasta. I have used and tried a number of different pastas and this is one of the bests in my opinion, It cooks well and has good flavor. Options of pasta you can try which can be found at most grocery stores are: brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta, whole wheat pasta, gluten-free pasta (corn-based), Kelp noodles, or black bean pasta.
The Magic That Makes It Taste Good:
- Brown Rice Pasta, cooked
- Yellow Onion, sliced
- Mushrooms, crimini, white button, & portobello all work.
- Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- Broccoli, steamed or blanched
- Goat Cheese
- 2 cups Basil, fresh
- 1 cup Kale, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/2 Juiced Lemon
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
How To Make Magic:
- Cook the brown rice pasta according to package directions and how many your serving. Save 1/4 cup of the pasta water and set pasta aside. (drizzle pasta with olive oil to keep from sticking)
- Blanch or steam the broccoli, and set aside.
- Grab a saute pan, get it hot, add your cooking oil (I use coconut oil). Add onions & mushrooms and saute for about 4 min. Turn the heat to medium and continue cooking for about 3-5 min. Add bell peppers, salt, pepper, & crushed red pepper flakes.
- While your veggies are cooking, you can start on the pesto sauce. In a blender or food processor add Basil leaves, kale, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, lemon, salt, & pepper. Process into a coarse mixture and then slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Keep it drizzling until the sauce comes together and is well combined.
- In your Saute pan you used to cook the veggies, add the pasta, pasta water, & pesto sauce. Combine the mixture, taste & add salt, pepper, or more crushed red pepper if need be.
- Add the broccoli, allow it to heat through then top the pasta with goat cheese and serve!